Koihime Musou Girls and Related Korean Clans, Part XV: Cottage Roh (노/盧)
Roh (노 in South Korean Format or 로 in North Korean Format/盧) sometimes romanized No, Noh or Ro is a common Korean Surname which means 'cottage' in Sino-Korean Language, similar to Chinese Pinyin Lú. Roh Clan traced its origins from Hebei Province, PROC. It is one of the Korean Surnames which followed Korean Beginning Sound Rule System a.k.a Du-eum Beopchik (두음 법칙/頭音法則).
Noh Su (노수/盧穗), the Scholar from Chinese Tang Dynasty is the progenitor for all Roh Clans in Korea. He had nine sons and they were travelled to all regions in Korean Peninsula which is controlled by Unified Silla Kingdom to establish the Locality Clan. Nine Principal Lineages of Roh Clan with their progenitors (Noh Su's sons) as shown on below in chronological order:
- Noh Hae (노해/盧垓), Count of Gwangju-Jeolla (광주백/光州伯) - Gwangju-Gwangsan Roh Clan (광주-광산 노씨/光州-光山盧氏) = Originated from Gwangsan-gu, Gwangju Metropole, ROK
- Noh Oh (노오/盧塢), Count of Gyoha (교하백/交河伯) - Gyoha-Jangsan Roh Clan (교하-장산 노씨/交河-章山盧氏) = Originated from Gyoha-dong, Paju City, Gyeonggi Province, ROK
- Noh Ji (노지/盧址), Count of Pungcheon (풍천백/豊川伯) - Pungcheon Roh Clan (풍천 노씨/豊川盧氏) = Originated from Kwail County, Southern Hwanghae Province, DPRK
- Noh Koo (노구/盧坵), Count of JangYeon (장연백/長淵伯) - JangYeon Roh Clan (장연 노씨/長淵盧氏) = Originated from JangYeon County, Southern Hwanghae Province, DPRK
- Noh Man (노만/盧㙢), Count of Andong (안동백/安東伯) - Andong Roh Clan (안동 노씨/安東盧氏) = Originated from Andong City, Northern Gyeongsang Province, ROK
- Noh Kon (노곤/盧坤), Count of AnGang (안강백/安康伯) - AnGang-Gyeongju Roh Clan (안강-경주 노씨/安康-慶州盧氏) = Originated from AnGang-eup, Gyeongju City, Northern Gyeongsang Province, ROK
- Noh Jeung (노증/盧增), Count of Yeon-il (연일백/延日伯) - Yeon-il Roh Clan (연일 노씨/延日盧氏) = Originated from Ocheon-eup, Pohang Nam-gu, Northern Gyeongsang Province, ROK
- Noh Pan (노판/盧板), Count of Pyongyang (평양백/平壤伯) - Pyongyang Roh Clan (평양 노씨/平壤盧氏) = Originated from Pyongyang, DPRK
- Noh Won (노원/盧垣), Count of Koksan (곡산백/谷山伯) - Koksan Roh Clan (곡산 노씨/谷山盧氏) = Originated from Koksan County, Northern Hwanghae Province, DPRK
In other hand, the ManGyeong Roh Clan (만경 노씨/萬頃盧氏) is a cadre clan of Pyongyang Roh Clan where this clan was founded by Noh Geuk-cheong (노극청/盧克淸) - Lord of ManGyeong (만경군/萬頃君), the descendant of the founder of Pyongyang Roh Clan - Noh Pan. He is the Goryeo Official who resided at ManGyeong-eup, Gimje City, Northern Jeolla Province during the reign of King Myeongjong Wang Ho, 19th King of Goryeo Dynasty.
Based on the 2015 Korean Republic Census - provided by Statistics Korea (통계청/統計廳/Tonggyecheong/KOSTAT), there are 256,229 people who bear the surname of Roh. Hence, this clan is placed at 33rd place in Korean Surnames List. The Gwangju-Gwangsan Lineage is the largest among nine, where this lineage consists of 102,329 people. It is followed by Gyoha-Jangsan Lineage; consists of 61,747 people.
Roh Clan produces well-illustrated leaders in the modern contemporary era of the Republic of Korea such as the Presidents: Roh Tae-woo (Gyoha-Jangsan), Roh Moo-hyun (Gwangju-Gwangsan) and Prime Ministers (both of them are coming from Gwangju-Gwangsan Roh Clan): Roh Jai-bong and Roh Shin-young.