Koihime Musou Girls and Related Korean Clans, Part VI: Yook (육/陸)
|Most dominant: Okcheon Yook Clan (Okcheon County, Northern Chungcheong)|
Yuk (육/陸), sometimes romanized Yook, Ryook or Ryuk is an uncommon Korean Surname which means 'continental' in Sino-Korean Language, similar to Chinese Pinyin Lù. This surname is listed 198th in the Song Dynasty classic text Hundred Family Surnames. Yuk is one of the Korean Surnames which followed Korean Beginning Sound Rule System a.k.a Du-eum Beopchik (두음 법칙/頭音法則).
The most dominant designated clan (본관/本貫) for this surname is Okcheon Yook Clan (옥천 육씨/沃川陸氏), originated from Okcheon County, Northern Chungcheong Province. Based on the 2015 Korean Republic Census - provided by Statistics Korea (통계청/統計廳/Tonggyecheong/KOSTAT), there are 23,455 people who bear the surname of Yook, mostly originated from Okcheon Yook Clan. Hence, this clan is placed at 85th place in Korean Surnames List.
Okcheon Yook Clan, also known as Gwanseong Yook Clan (관성 육씨/管城陸氏) was founded by Yook Bo/Lu Pu (육보/陸普), a scholar who born at Zhejiang Province, People's Republic of China. He migrated from Tang Dynasty to Silla and became the Lord of Gwanseong (관성군/管城君) in 927 (First Reigning Year of King Gyeongsun of Silla and Tenth Reigning Year of King Taejo Wang Geon of Goryeo). During the reign of King Chungnyeol Wang Geo (1236-1308) - 25th Monarch of Goryeo Dynasty, Yook In-dan/Lu Renduan (육인단/陸仁端) designated Gwanseong County (present-day Okcheon County, Northern Chungcheong Province) as their ancestral seat.
Yook Geo-won/Lu Juyuan (육거원/陸巨遠), the son of Yook In-dan had four sons and these sons represented the branch clans (파/派) of Okcheon Yook Clan. The branch clans are shown below in chronological order.
- First son - Yook Ryeo (육려/陸麗) = Duke of Deokgok Branch (덕곡공파/德谷公派)
- Second son - Yook Hang (육항(陸沆) = Duke of Gongju-Moksa Branch (공주목사공파/公州牧使公派)
- Third son - Yook Bi (육비/陸埤) = Duke of Sunchalsa Branch (순찰사공파/巡察使公派)
- Fourth son - Yook Soo (육수/陸綬) = Duke of Nangjang Branch (낭장공파/郎將公派)
In addition, the clanhouses of Okcheon Yook Clan are detected in several areas such as:
- Dojang-ri, Cheongseong-myeon, Okcheon County, Northern Chungcheong
- Okcheon-eup, Okcheon County, Northern Chungcheong
- Yonghwa-ri, Jewon-myeon, Geumsan County, Southern Chungcheong
- Maha-ri and Wonheung-ri, Sanseo-myeon, Jangsu County, Northern Jeolla